"Oh man, the only ingredients in these chips are potatoes, salt and vegetable oil. They're not even that bad for you!"
I said this once. True story. I was super fucking wrong. Wanna be smart about what you eat? Choose your oils and fats wisely.
Let's start with the bad stuff
- Corn Oil
- Soybean Oil
- Cottonseed Oil
- Canola Oil
- Rapeseed Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Grapeseed Oil
- Safflower Oil
- Rice Bran Oil
- Vegetable Oil
- I Can’t Believe Its Not Butter
- Smart Balance
- Any fake butter or vegetable oils products
If you want to know more, there are 11,600,000 hits on google for "Why Vegetable Oil Is Bad For You." Also, avoiding vegetable oil is a great way to help us stay away from processed foods! Dope.
The Good Stuff
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Butter (Yay!)
- Macadamia Nut Oil
- Peanut Oil
- Animal Fats
- Palm Oil
- It's very resistant to heat because over 90% of the fatty acids are saturated.
- It lasts for a really long time.
- It has powerful health benefits.
- It can increase feelings of fullness compared to other fats.
- You can use it for more than cooking! Teeth whitener, lip balm... it's endless.
- It helps us absorb and taste other nutrients. (Read: butter makes other food taste better!)
- It lowers heart attack risk compared to margarine.
- It's associated with a lower risk of obesity.
- It's friggin delish!
- Check out more sciency details here.
Why does all of this matter?
Your body needs fat. High quality fats are integral for:
- Brain and other vital organ function
- Hormone health
- Healthy skin, eyes, and bones
- Reproductive health
Bad fats are really bad for you, and good fats are really good for you. The good news is that the stuff that is the best for your body also tastes the best. Thank you, nature!
Just for fun... http://www.buzzfeed.com/deepalakshmin/x-reasons-coconut-oil-is-your-best-friend-dmdm