Pesto rules. It's healthy and gives a flavour blast to so many things. Do yourself a favour, and next time you see a big bundle of basil for sale, buy it! Make pesto. Then freeze it. In an ice cube tray. And then thaw a cube next time you're about to eat plain, raw pasta because it's -30 outside and there's no food in your house.
Julia's Pesto Control Service: (You'll need a food processor or really good blender)
- Big handful of basil leaves
- Big handful of some other greens, who kales what you add!
- Dollop of EVOO
- Spoil yourself by adding parmesan or other cheese in whatever quantity you'd like
- Handful of nuts (Pine nuts, walnuts, or none. Whatever.)
- Salt and Pepper to taste!
- Blend it up and freeze it in the ice cube tray
- Once frozen, put your cute little cubes into a container or plastic baggy!
Make up your own variations! Don't be afraids! Also... my freezer looks like a serial killer's bedroom. There are Tomatillo Sauce cubes, Strawberry Coolis cubes, frozen fruit, vegan zucchini muffins, vegan chilli, blueberry-lemon-ricotta pancake mix, frozen assorted beans and a ton of soup. WINTERRRRRR I'M COMING FOR YOU!