I've been craving cereal lately. A lot. I'm sometimes blown away at how much shitty processed sugary cereal I used to eat, but all I've been wanting lately is a big bowl of Lucky Charms.
Then I realized that homemade granola IS CEREAL. And it makes your house smell amazing! And you can put whatever you want in it. I modified this recipe to create my slightly healthier version. This satisfied my craving big time.
3 cups Kamut flakes (I like these way more than oats. They're crunchy and nutty.)
1 cup blanched slivered almonds
Big handful of dried coconut
Bigger handful of unsalted sunflower seeds
Spoonful ground flax
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons agave (It was in my cupboard. I'd prefer maple syrup.)
1/4 cup coconut oil. Maybe even a bit less than this. Vegetable oil is cool too.
2 tablespoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
Whatever else you want. Nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc., you get it.
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C)
2. Mix kamut flakes, almonds, coconut, sunflower seeds, flax in your biggest bowl.
3. Mix coconut oil with hot water in a medium-size bowl. Whisk with a fork until coconut oil is liquid. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk.
4. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Lay out evenly on a coupla' trays in the oven for 1 Hour and 15 minutes. I used aluminum foil, but you could just make sure your pan is oiled up. Now, Your house will smell divine.
6. Serve with nut milk, greek yogurt, or whatever. Delicious!